Wings At The Speed Of Sound (1976)
1. Let 'Em In
This simple song is totally irresistible. McCartney at his finest.
Rating: 8.5/10
2. The Note That You Never Wrote
Why does this album sound like there's too much bass and not enough treble? Even the remastered versions and original vinyl copies sound like an old cassette being played on a machine with misaligned heads. The song's good, for sure, but Denny's vocals are feeble.
Rating: 6/10
3. She's My Baby
I can never get past the whole "gravy" thing.
Like gravy, down to the last drop,
I keep mopping it up, mopping it up,
She's my baby.
An otherwise sweet song, I'll never get past the visual element of someone just finishing a lovely roast lamb dinner, reaching out for a slice of lightly buttered Wonderloaf, folding it in half and going to town on the gravy run-off. Nevertheless, it still gets a reasonable rating.
Rating: 6/10
4. Beware My Love
One of the best on the album. Easily.
Rating: 8.5/10
5. Wino Junko
The sequel to little Jimmy's other drug song Medicine Jar, this is actually another great song. Very dated sounding now (definitely lives in the 70s this number), but still one I always crank the volume to.
Rating: 8/10
6. Silly Love Songs
Opinions have always been divided with this song. Some say it's one of the best, some can't stand it. I'm leaning towards the latter. I read somewhere it was a disco song. Doesn't sound like many people would have stood up to shake their John Travolta's to it, but each to their own. The remake on Broad Street is preferable.
Rating: 7/10
7. Cook Of The House
Dear me. Denny's had a turn. Jimmy's had a turn. Joe's coming up, and now Linda. No room on the album for the sound engineer? This song's a B-side for a reason. Should have stayed there.
Rating: 5/10
8. Time To Hide
One of Denny's best.
Rating: 7.5/10
9. Must Do Something About It
Hello Joe. I always loved this song. I recently heard the McCartney vocal version (now on the 2014 Deluxe version *), and I'm glad they kept it for Joe. He puts something into it that Macca lacks. The McCartney version sounds lazy.
* Yes, yet another remaster. Means we have to buy it again just for the bonus tracks. Strangely enough, some of the songs still sound like they come from a worn out cassette).
Rating: 8/10
10. San Ferry Anne
Filler song but very nice
Rating: 7/10
11. Warm And Beautiful
Adequate. Nothing more, nothing less.
Rating: 5.5/10
Overall Rating: 77/110 Percentage: 70% (Distinction)
Best Song: Let 'Em In & Beware My Love (tie).
Worst Song: Cook Of The House

No comments:
Post a Comment