Saturday, September 27, 2014

McCartney (1970)

McCartney (1970)

McCartney Front Cover
1. The Lovely Linda
I'll start by saying that I do like this song very much. The final line from The Beatles last album Abbey Road was: "and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make". The first song on McCartney's first solo album was a small tribute to his beloved Linda. For me, it represents a new era of family and love. Paul would be working with his wife and having his children always by their side. A very nice song.
Rating: 7/10

2. That Would Be Something
Paul once stated that he liked this song because it was so simple and "pure". I agree. Nothing too complicated here.
Rating: 6/10

3. Valentine Day
A basic (very basic) instrumental.
Rating: 4/10

4. Every Night
One of three great songs on this album. "Every Night" is a terrific song that McCartney played live during the Unplugged sessions in 1991. This is a very nice song and equally nice to play on the guitar.
Rating: 7/10

5. Hot As Sun/Glasses
A good, strong instrumental.
Rating: 5/10

6. Junk
A beautiful melody. Just lovely.
Rating: 7/10

7. Man We Was Lonely
Many of the songs on this album have that raw quality that is just delightful. This is one of them.
Rating: 6.5/10

8. Oo You
At least there's words in this one. Yes this album sounds unfinished, and to some degree, unbegun (is that a word?). This is alright. I'm sure it is. Yes, it's alright.

Cook like a woman.... ooh woman!
Rating: 4.5/10

9. Momma Miss America
"Rock and Roll Springtime. Take One." Perhaps take two would have been an improvement. Not much here.
Rating: 4/10

10. Teddy Boy
I can see why the other Beatles rejected this song. It's OK, for sure, but another example of McCartney making cheese out of a simple melody.
Rating: 4/10

11. Singalong Junk
Background music for a Sunday morning. Nursery music. The instrumental version of track 6. Sing along to it. I do.
Rating: 6/10

12. Maybe I'm Amazed
Not much else can be said about this song that hasn't already been said. A classic.
Rating: 9/10

13. Kreen-Akrore
I'm glad this was the last song on the album. It's like "Ebony and Ivory" from Tug of War. You can turn the album off after the high point of the previous song. Gets a few points for the creative drumming though.
Rating: 4/10

Best Song: Maybe I'm Amazed
Worst Song: Valentine Day, Momma Miss America, Teddy Boy and Kreen-Akrore (Four way tie)

Overall Rating: 74/130   Percentage: 56.9% (Pass)

No comments:

Post a Comment