![]() |
| Ram Front Cover |
1. Too Many People
Terrific opener to a really well balanced album. This song was a "jibe" at Lennon - or so legend has it anyway ("Too many people preaching practices"). Perhaps a response to Lennon's How Do You Sleep? Hugh McCracken, you star.
Rating: 7.5/10
2. 3 Legs
Another snipe at the three Beatles? Maybe. I prefer to think of it as his dog having 3 legs. Nuff said.
Rating: 7/10
3. Ram On
I like an album with a concept. Not sure what the concept is here, ramming?
Rating: 6.5/10
4. Dear Boy
Hmm, are we sniping again or are the other Beatles just getting a teeny bit paranoid? Dunno. Grouse song though. I think it was really about Linda's ex husband. Nice song. Like it a lot.
Rating: 7/10
5. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
Honestly, what's not to like about this song? It has everything; sound effects, references to butter pies, McCartney's use of the word "bloody", and a catchy chorus and concept that sounds like it belongs on the White Album (or at least the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack). Gets 8 points to begin with, and another point for its appearance in an episode of Only Fools And Horses.
Rating: 9/10
6. Smile Away
The theme of this song is "Smiling Away when someone has bad breath, feet and teeth. I think. My favourite bit is near the end when the vocals cry "ahhhh, yi yi yi yi..." Noice.
Rating: 8/10
7. Heart Of The Country
Ah yes, the Scottish country side. You look high, you look low, you look everywhere you go, and then mutter some nonsense: "Be du be di be dub be du something or other". Still, it beats the "woah wo-wo wo" from Red Rose.
Rating: 6.5/10
8. Monkberry Moon Delight
Whatever it is, I'll try a few grams of the stuff. This is easily one of Macca's most underrated songs. Surely. Every single line is a complete joy:
So I sat in the attic, a piano up my nose,
And the wind played a dreadful cantata.
and...
Well I know my banana is older than the rest
And my hair is a tangled beretta
and of course the chorus:
Ketchup,
Soup and puree
And it goes on like that. I'm sure this song would have had Lennon's approval.
Rating: 9/10
9. Eat At Home
Great guitar, great chorus, great lyrics, great Scott!
A good one.
Rating: 7.5
10. Long Haired Lady
As the album winds down, Paul begins to tack on a few extras. This is OK, for sure, but by no means a classic.
Rating: 6.5/10
11. Ram On (Reprise)
Nothing new here in the "reprise". How do you pronounce that anyway? Repreeze or Reprize?
Rating: 6.5/10
12. The Back Seat Of My Car
Why didn't the album finish with Ram On? This is OK, but not one of his better choices for a single. Can get annoying.
Rating: 5.5/10
Best Song: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (tie with) Monkberry Moon Delight
Worst Song: The Back Seat Of My Car
Overall Rating: 86.5/120 Percentage: 72.08% (Distinction)

No comments:
Post a Comment